Old 21-07-2003, 05:22 AM

Default Has anybody ever "rescued" a plant? (1/2)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:17:41 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

what kind, Polar?

I just took it to the nabe nursery to be ID'd. It's a Ti Plant
(Hawaiian tropical). Cordyline Terminalis. Purple-edged leaves.

I asked if it was OK to put it in the ground but the Japanese-American
head honcho was kinda iffy about winter, even though this is So.Calif
coastal.

So I guess I'll leave it as a patio plant, and if we have much
"winter" will bring it inside. We don't heat, so it wouldn't be
bothered by that.

Nursery guy said it needed a lot of light, but WGB says
"tolerates low light intensity. ?? WGB says it can reach 6-8 feet
in "in special frost-free locations where it receives regular water
and soil stays warm." Would be kinda fun to grow it that tall!

Well, we *are* frost free, and I can make sure it receives regular
water, but I don't think soil stays exactly "warm" all year; never
occurred to me to measure temp; I just grow different veggies in the
"winter" than in the summer.

An interesting challenge.

Input from anyone who has grown a Ti plant (outside of real tropical
areas like Hawaii) would be welcome.

--

Polar

wrote in message
.. .
On 14 Jul 2003 23:55:06 GMT, ospam (Roseb441702)
wrote:

I was at my local Franks store because I wanted some tomato plants. I

must
have been there after the good ones were taken but I was determined not