Old 21-07-2003, 05:22 AM

Default Has anybody ever "rescued" a plant? (1/2)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:17:41 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

what kind, Polar?

I just took it to the nabe nursery to be ID'd. It's a Ti Plant
(Hawaiian tropical). Cordyline Terminalis. Purple-edged leaves.

I asked if it was OK to put it in the ground but the Japanese-American
head honcho was kinda iffy about winter, even though this is So.Calif
coastal.

So I guess I'll leave it as a patio plant, and if we have much
"winter" will bring it inside. We don't heat, so it wouldn't be
bothered by that.

Nursery guy said it needed a lot of light, but WGB says
"tolerates low light intensity. ?? WGB says it can reach 6-8 feet
in "in special frost-free locations where it receives regular water
and soil stays warm." Would be kinda fun to grow it that tall!

Well, we *are* frost free, and I can make sure it receives regular
water, but I don't think soil stays exactly "warm" all year; never
occurred to me to measure temp; I just grow different veggies in the
"winter" than in the summer.

An interesting challenge.

Input from anyone who has grown a Ti plant (outside of real tropical
areas like Hawaii) would be welcome.

--

Polar

wrote in message
.. .
On 14 Jul 2003 23:55:06 GMT, ospam (Roseb441702)
wrote:

I was at my local Franks store because I wanted some tomato plants. I

must
have been there after the good ones were taken but I was determined not

Old 21-07-2003, 06:43 AM
Tracey

Input from anyone who has grown a Ti plant (outside
of real tropical areas like Hawaii) would be welcome.

Awww, man......

Okay, I won't give any cultural tips, but I *will* give
you something that was told to me, more of an old wives
tale or superstition. Don't have Ti plants near your
doors, either outside or inside. Ti plants are an
indicator/symbol of money and if they are by a door
to your house, the money will 'leave'.

Tracey

Old 21-07-2003, 06:43 AM
paghat

In article , Tracey wrote:

Input from anyone who has grown a Ti plant (outside
of real tropical areas like Hawaii) would be welcome.

Awww, man......

Okay, I won't give any cultural tips, but I *will* give
you something that was told to me, more of an old wives
tale or superstition. Don't have Ti plants near your
doors, either outside or inside. Ti plants are an
indicator/symbol of money and if they are by a door
to your house, the money will 'leave'.

Tracey

AHA! Now everything's beginning to make sense!

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 21-07-2003, 07:12 AM
Salty Thumb

Tracey wrote in :

Input from anyone who has grown a Ti plant (outside of real tropical
areas like Hawaii) would be welcome.

Awww, man......

Okay, I won't give any cultural tips, but I *will* give
you something that was told to me, more of an old wives
tale or superstition. Don't have Ti plants near your
doors, either outside or inside. Ti plants are an
indicator/symbol of money and if they are by a door
to your house, the money will 'leave'.

Tracey

haha, now if I could only get my hands on some cat, skunk, squirrel,
rabbit, or raccoon indicator/symbol plants, I'd be rich. :-)
Old 21-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Starlord

While I have not grown it, it does grow wild over there, and it does love the
heat, as Hawaii never goes under 70F even at night and it's humid there too. The
local people there use the leaves for all kinds of things too.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Tracey

AHA! Now everything's beginning to make sense!

It does, doesn't it? grin I got all sorts of homegrown
hints and tips and superstitions while living on the
other side of the island. No fountains or ponds near
doorways, either.

Tracey

Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Tracey

haha, now if I could only get my hands on some cat,
skunk, squirrel, rabbit, or raccoon indicator/symbol
plants, I'd be rich.

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

Tracey

[IMG] code is On

"My" hummingbirds (as if anybody ever owns a hummingbird) Paddy's Pig[_4_] Garden Photos 7 06-05-2010 11:19 PM
has anybody ever agentelrond Gardening 8 07-06-2008 01:00 AM
Anybody ever hear of a Pentaphylanges tree? Bob Giel Plant Science 1 30-08-2004 12:53 AM
Has anybody ever "rescued" a plant? Roseb441702 Gardening 25 22-07-2003 02:12 PM
Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant? paghat Gardening 8 21-07-2003 07:06 PM