Old 21-07-2003, 06:43 AM
Bill Ranseen

Default Mattock?

In article , Salty Thumb
wrote:

Thanks for those descriptions. The thing I was using had a small square
blade parallel with the handle on one side and on the other side was a
slightly curved blade (4-5x the length of the square part) perpendicular
to the handle I guess it could be used for hacking at wood, but it
doesn't have very good balance for that (plus it was very old and had
lost it's edge) but the curved end was very good for digging and breaking
up soil. Does it sound like an axe mattock to you?

Not sure what you're describing, tho side 2 is mattock-like. It also
sounds a bit like an old shipbuilders adze. There are quite a few
configurations for these tools and there used to be a lot more versions
available, like for railroad building.
- Salty

P.S. frogleg - sorry for hijacking the thread ... sounds like if the
digging (curved end) of your mattock is sharp, it would work well for
knifing out small stumps. The one on mine is dull like the axe-head

For me, an axe-mattock is the tool of choice for grubbing out stumps.
It's hard work, requires practice to swing the tool accurately and with
force, and it's potentially dangerous: Rule #1: Never aim the thing
anywhere near any body parts (and be aware of possible repercussions if
it bounces off what you hit). Work goes much faster if the tool si
sharp, too.