Old 21-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

Default mystery flower/weed

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:05:28 -0400, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

I believe the origin of the quibble was a line saying
birds "planted" seeds.

And being the one who said it, I thought it a entertaining way to say
some bird shat on my dirt. I've never come across any info describing
birds "squirreling" away seeds in the ground. I certainly wasn't
saying they were.

Plant, drop, poop -- birds are common
distributors of seeds. Maybe we were all taken aback by seeing a
zinnia described as a 'mystery flower'. :-)

Hey, if I didn't plant it I assume it is a weed and yank it.
This one didn't look like a weed so I let it live to see what would
become of it.

Sorry, Digital. Zinnias are just *so* common and recognizable. Cereoid
says they're native American (Mexico and some ways N. & S) plants, so
they *could* be called wildflowers or weeds. As you now know,
Zinnias come in many colors and varieties, are good as cut flowers,
easy to grow, and...freely reseed. The negatives are that the flowers
get tatty-looking if not dead-headed, and plants often develop powdery
mildew late in the season. Small price to pay for such abundant color.