Old 21-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Peter

Default Clematis -- When to plant?

Agreed... Jackmanii has some pretty flowers. I have two plants
that seemed to take about two summers to become established,
but this year they blossomed for about two months.

Keep the roots cool, mine are planted in a bed of hosta's
and a bed of daylillies, and the plant in sun or partial shade.

Jackmanii is popular, seems that a lot of local garden centers
carry it, but you might wish to look at the other hybrids also.

They can grow pretty large. Longwood Gardens (Pa.) has
several clemantis growing atop a large stone wall....very nice !!

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:42:02 -0400, Chelsea Christenson
wrote:

JNJ wrote:

We're in Zone 6, SW Ohio -- any varieties in particular anyone would
recommend? Any vendors in particular I should buy from?

I'm hoping to get some clematis at some point. I'm particularly
interested in the Jackmanii, which has deep purple flowers. I get the
impression that it's a very reliable plant.

At this point, I'm going to stick with plants from local nurseries if
possible, especially for specimen plants.