Old 21-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Carrots & Eggplant

On 21 Jul 2003 07:23:47 -0700,
(slider9499) wrote:

First time veggie gardener here. I planted a variety of veggies last
Spring and so far, so good. But I had never planted eggplant and
carrots and have no idea when I should pick them?

Do I need to actually see the eggplant and carrot before I pick them
or are can they be picked when they reach a certain size?

You'll see the eggplants all right: they grow above the
ground.

I planted in May and right now they are pretty big. The carrot plants
are at least 12-16 inches high and very full, but I do not see any
carrots.

Pull one carrot up: then you can see how big the carrot is.
It's the root, it grows underground. Small, young carrots
are pretty nice, sweet and good. Larger ones have the
virtue of being..well...larger. They probably store better
too.

The eggplants are also very full but again, I see nothing

The eggplants must first have flowers, then they will form
(very obvious) fruits. They take quite a while: mine
haven't flowered yet.

Pat