Old 21-07-2003, 03:32 PM
slider9499

Default Carrots & Eggplant

First time veggie gardener here. I planted a variety of veggies last
Spring and so far, so good. But I had never planted eggplant and
carrots and have no idea when I should pick them?

Do I need to actually see the eggplant and carrot before I pick them
or are can they be picked when they reach a certain size?

I planted in May and right now they are pretty big. The carrot plants
are at least 12-16 inches high and very full, but I do not see any
carrots.

The eggplants are also very full but again, I see nothing

Help. I'd hate to lose great veggies because of ignorance on my part

Thanks,

slider
Old 21-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Brian

slider9499 wrote:

First time veggie gardener here. I planted a variety of veggies last
Spring and so far, so good. But I had never planted eggplant and
carrots and have no idea when I should pick them?

Do I need to actually see the eggplant and carrot before I pick them
or are can they be picked when they reach a certain size?

I planted in May and right now they are pretty big. The carrot plants
are at least 12-16 inches high and very full, but I do not see any
carrots.

Carrots are a root crop. If you sweep some of the dirt away with your
finger you may see the top of the carrot. If it looks bigger then a dime
you can pull it. Make sure your ground isn't hard, if it is wet the area
down before you pull it or the top may break off. If it isn't big enough
make sure you put the dirt back over it or the carrot will turn green
from the sun.

The eggplants are also very full but again, I see nothing

You will see them when they form and they form above ground. This is my
first year with eggplant myself, but I was told to pick them when they
are a little bigger then your fist.

Old 22-07-2003, 03:48 AM
David Hare-Scott

"slider9499" wrote in message
m...
First time veggie gardener here. I planted a variety of veggies last
Spring and so far, so good. But I had never planted eggplant and
carrots and have no idea when I should pick them?

Do I need to actually see the eggplant and carrot before I pick them
or are can they be picked when they reach a certain size?

I planted in May and right now they are pretty big. The carrot plants
are at least 12-16 inches high and very full, but I do not see any
carrots.

The eggplants are also very full but again, I see nothing

Help. I'd hate to lose great veggies because of ignorance on my part

Thanks,

slider

Eggplant need a long (preferably fairly hot) growing season. You wont
have any pickable fruit after 2 months, depending on the variety and
conditions it may take 4 months. The fruit should be quite obvious once
they set, the size at maturity varies a lot and is very much dependent
on the variety.

David