Old 21-07-2003, 06:54 PM
bnd777

Default Pruning blackcurrants - advice please?

Prune out 1/3rd of the branches especially old wood
Do this every year feed well and your crop will be great

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I've had quite a good crop from my 3 blackcurrant bushes this season and
having now picked the last of the berries I am wondering when is the
best time to prune the bushes and how to do it!

They are between 3-4 feet high and probably 3-4 years old and have done
well in my alkaline soil. So that I get it right can anyone advise me
on the best pruning technique and how far back I am supposed to cut
back. Do they fruit on the previous year's wood and if so how much of
the new growth do I chop off?

Thanks!
--
Lynda Thornton