Old 21-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Pruning blackcurrants - advice please?

Hi

I've had quite a good crop from my 3 blackcurrant bushes this season and
having now picked the last of the berries I am wondering when is the
best time to prune the bushes and how to do it!

They are between 3-4 feet high and probably 3-4 years old and have done
well in my alkaline soil. So that I get it right can anyone advise me
on the best pruning technique and how far back I am supposed to cut
back. Do they fruit on the previous year's wood and if so how much of
the new growth do I chop off?

Thanks!
--
Lynda Thornton
Old 21-07-2003, 06:54 PM
bnd777

Prune out 1/3rd of the branches especially old wood
Do this every year feed well and your crop will be great

Old 21-07-2003, 07:44 PM
The Devil's Advocate

What BND777 says is probably right but I find they do better if they are not
pruned until a fair bit later than 3/4 years. Oh and anytime now really or
the autumn

oops wrong question answered first

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 21-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello Lynda

In article ,
Lynda Thornton wrote:
Hi

I've had quite a good crop from my 3 blackcurrant bushes this season and
having now picked the last of the berries I am wondering when is the
best time to prune the bushes and how to do it!

They are between 3-4 feet high and probably 3-4 years old and have done
well in my alkaline soil. So that I get it right can anyone advise me
on the best pruning technique and how far back I am supposed to cut
back. Do they fruit on the previous year's wood and if so how much of
the new growth do I chop off?

My technique is ridiculously simple, although I have forgotten who told me
about it.

With three bushes you simply slaughter one bush each year in sequence. That
is you cut it back so that it is practically leafless. You leave the others
alone. I have been doing this for 7 or 8 years now. This years yield was 15
lb off the bush pruned 3 years ago, 10 lb off the bush pruned two years ago,
and none off the bush pruned last year.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England

Old 22-07-2003, 08:20 PM
bnd777

Or you can do what my Mother did ......instead of back breaking picking she
simply cut out the fruit bearing branches and picked the berries off indoors
Has same effect as cutting out 1/3rd or old wood

"Eur Ing John Rye" wrote in message
Hello Lynda

Old 24-07-2003, 11:12 AM
J Jackson

Eur Ing John Rye wrote:

[...]

A few years ago I saw a website describing some commercial trials on a
similar line. They planted bushes closer than usual and were hard pruned
alternate bushes, alternate years. Unfortunately I can't find the
refernece now. The 3 year cycle sounds a lot more sensible to me and you
results are interesting. For last 15 years I've pruned then as classically
recommended, take out old/fruited wood. I get about 8/10 lbs per bush -
even now at 15 years old. When I am forced to restock, I think I'll try
your method - it has the merit of simplicity.

Jim
Old 24-07-2003, 12:22 PM

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:01:52 GMT, J Jackson
wrote:

~Eur Ing John Rye wrote:
~
[...]

Long reply!

Trouble with that is it only really works if you have multiples of
three bushes or you end up having to remember which is the one you
prune normally...

I too have read about the alternative methods of pruning. The RHS
encyclopedia of Gardening gives the 'cut the lot down' method as one
of it's recommended ways. I'm also sure they recommend the hedge
method (planting at half the recommended distance) for young bushes,
eventually digging out every other bush as they mature and get big
enough to fill the gaps.

I've had a lot of these questions too in the last couple of years.
I inherited 13 blackcurrants on heavily alkaline soil with my
allotment, of varying sizes from a small stool to an enormous bush
well over a yard across. All were very woody and mostly dark wood. The
first year (2001) I left them as they came, as I took it on too late
to prune. The second year I'd pruned lightly as it was the first time
I'd tried to do it and didn't want to overdo it (didn't get much in
the way of crops in 2002 either though that was the pigeons' fault!).
This last winter I decided to go for broke and dug out all the really
bad bushes (including the huge one that I'd found had reversion
disease and loads of big bud - see end of posting!), kept four healthy
ones and really viciously hard pruned them leaving only pale wood, and
added in three new cultivars which I know the names of (Ben Connan,
Ben Tirran and the old favourite Wellington XXX)

It worked really well. I have had *loads* off the (netted!) older
bushes this year, and am now getting whinges off the other half cos he
can't get in the freezer already for fruit, and even the new ones have
given a small handful each so I know what they taste like. The
fruiting branches were so heavy they ended up horizontal with the
netting wrapped round them. I still have some left to pick...

The bonus has been that the old bushes have each produced masses of
new weak-tea coloured canes in the past few months (and was one of the
criteria I used when deciding which to dig out, alongside the reverted
ones) and so next year they should all be pretty good. I need yet
another freezer...

Just as an aside: thanks to yells for help on various gardening fora I
now know more about reversion disease than I quite set out to... Easy
to tell if you have it really - the leaves of a reverted bush have
fewer veins between points, and literally are that - a reversion to
wild type leaf *and cropping* so you don't get nearly as many berries.
If you have endemic big bud over winter then best to replace the
bushes unless there are only a few, in which case pick them off and
burn them. The mites which cause this spread the reversion virus.
The good news is that blackcurrants don't suffer from replant syndrome
(least not that a lot of reading and asking could turn up!) and so you
can pop new bushes in the same areas after preparing the depleted soil
properly by manuring, etc.

I really must add this lot to my allotment blog/website, as well as
the "how to spot a reverted leaf" diagrams I found in one of my
ancient gardening books. When I get time ... :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 29-07-2003, 11:32 AM

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:52:55 GMT, J Jackson

~: Trouble with that is it only really works if you have multiples of
~: three bushes or you end up having to remember which is the one you
~: prune normally...
~
~If I replant I can fix things accordingly.
~
~........
~: It worked really well. I have had *loads* off the (netted!) older
~: bushes this year, and am now getting whinges off the other half cos he
~: can't get in the freezer already for fruit,
~
~I don't have a large freezer. I'm pretty addicted to brackcurrent juice
~and I simply juice the majority of the crop for a years supply. Oh and
~enough blackcurrant jelly and jam for the extended family!
~
~I have Ben Sarek, Jet and I recently planted baldwin. The best cropper by
~far is Ben Sarek. Ripe Jet produces a wonderful rich dark Juice with a
~good taste. I am disappointed with baldwin's poor cropping, though it's
~taste straight off the bush is good.
~
~What are your newer varieties like for taste? I'd be intertested.

Difficult to answer (this year) really as I got about half a dozen
berries off each of the newbies and I could have waited a little
longer to pick them and let the sugars develop. Course, being
impatient...I didn't. Now next year...

Seemed to be quite tart compared with the old haventaclue varieties,
but then again those were ripe. Berries were however very large. I
wish I'd got Ben Sarek (in fact I thought I had until I checked) -
trouble with that one is I keep getting Star Trek moments!

Anyway, just noticed this in last Sunday's Observer... currant
recipes! (I like the look of the redcurrant tart and I guess you can
easily use blackcurrants too :-)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magaz...006565,00.html

--
jane

Mark Twain

Picking blackcurrants? mogga United Kingdom 12 24-08-2009 01:41 PM
Blackcurrants graham United Kingdom 15 14-03-2007 10:36 PM
Blackcurrants with legs. Brian United Kingdom 19 25-10-2005 04:21 AM
Pesticides and blackcurrants Peter Robinson United Kingdom 11 16-05-2004 03:09 PM
Blackcurrants graham Gardening 2 25-07-2003 05:22 AM