Old 21-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Jim W

Default Wisteria - keeping it tamed

Tom Randy wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:47:29 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

I have a young wisteria plant which has started putting out vines which
are climbing up a trellis. I would like to keep the plant on the
smallish side and am wondering what sort of pruning techniques I should
use. Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?
Cheryl

I have one I trained as a tree and I have to prune this thing once a week
or it'll take over the planet! I just prune the runners back as far as I
want. Wisterias are a bit of work but worth it come flowering time. Just
prune the long runners back where you want them. It's that easy.

Summer and winter pruning.. Think of it like a fruit tree.. Shorten any
unwanted tenderils or reduce those that you want by a half- 2 thirds
(leave up to 6 inches..) in a good year you will need to do this more
than once.. THen do a certain amount of 'framework' pruning in Feb,
before it starts to shoot. (May differ in your location).

We had great flowers followed by the velvety bean like fruits this
year..

Piccy he
http://www.warhams.plus.com/garden/wist/wist1.jpg
http://www.warhams.plus.com/garden/wist/wist2.jpg