Old 21-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Cheryl

Default Wisteria - keeping it tamed

I have a young wisteria plant which has started putting out vines
which are climbing up a trellis. I would like to keep the plant on
the smallish side and am wondering what sort of pruning techniques I
should use. Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?
Cheryl
Old 21-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:47:29 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

I have a young wisteria plant which has started putting out vines which
are climbing up a trellis. I would like to keep the plant on the
smallish side and am wondering what sort of pruning techniques I should
use. Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?
Cheryl

I have one I trained as a tree and I have to prune this thing once a week
or it'll take over the planet! I just prune the runners back as far as I
want. Wisterias are a bit of work but worth it come flowering time. Just
prune the long runners back where you want them. It's that easy.
Old 21-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Jim W

Tom Randy wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:47:29 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

I have a young wisteria plant which has started putting out vines which
are climbing up a trellis. I would like to keep the plant on the
smallish side and am wondering what sort of pruning techniques I should
use. Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?
Cheryl

I have one I trained as a tree and I have to prune this thing once a week
or it'll take over the planet! I just prune the runners back as far as I
want. Wisterias are a bit of work but worth it come flowering time. Just
prune the long runners back where you want them. It's that easy.

Summer and winter pruning.. Think of it like a fruit tree.. Shorten any
unwanted tenderils or reduce those that you want by a half- 2 thirds
(leave up to 6 inches..) in a good year you will need to do this more
than once.. THen do a certain amount of 'framework' pruning in Feb,
before it starts to shoot. (May differ in your location).

We had great flowers followed by the velvety bean like fruits this
year..

Piccy he
http://www.warhams.plus.com/garden/wist/wist1.jpg
http://www.warhams.plus.com/garden/wist/wist2.jpg
if you want to take a look
//
Jim
Old 22-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Betsy

Read this and then tell us if you still want to grow wisteria (caution:
it's an 11 on a scale of 10 on the laugh-o-meter!)

http://www.supernet.net/~jclark/fiction/wisteria.html

om...

Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Tom Randy

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:40:04 -0400, Betsy wrote:

Read this and then tell us if you still want to grow wisteria (caution:
it's an 11 on a scale of 10 on the laugh-o-meter!)

http://www.supernet.net/~jclark/fiction/wisteria.html

Thanks for that! It's SO TRUE. Mine, if left unchecked, would swallow small
children, cats and dogs. Like I said, I HAVE to prune it once a week. It's
worth it though.

Now, ground Ivy is another story......

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] wisteria luc tran Bonsai 2 23-03-2003 05:20 PM
Wisteria Shelly Hurd Bonsai 0 14-03-2003 06:08 PM
Wisteria Question Lilly Gardening 10 19-02-2003 03:27 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM