Old 22-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Warren

Default Permanent Arbor

LeeAnne wrote:
I live in New England, specifically zone 5, 20 miles north of Boston.

currently have a cedar arbor up that has annuals (morning glories,

sweet
peas, etc.) growing over it - but it also has a trumpet creeper that,

as of
this year, is really starting to go nuts.

Typically I have the arbor staked down (I lost it to high wind once)

but I
still have to take it down for the winter and this will probably be

the last
year I can actually undo the trumpet creeper.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for permanent structure - should

I look
for steel or iron or another type of wood. I love the cedar one I

have, but
tried to keep it up last winter - despite having it staked it still

blew
over and ripped most of the trumpet vine off w/it - I thought it was

doomed,
but luckily it's coming back wonderfully.

Any suggestions? What do you guys have for permanent structures?

4x4 supports, embedded in concrete -- just like a fence. Cedar is fine.
Just treat it like a permanent structure, and not something just sitting
there "staked down".

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.