Old 21-07-2003, 07:22 PM
LeeAnne

Default Permanent Arbor

I live in New England, specifically zone 5, 20 miles north of Boston. I
currently have a cedar arbor up that has annuals (morning glories, sweet
peas, etc.) growing over it - but it also has a trumpet creeper that, as of
this year, is really starting to go nuts.

Typically I have the arbor staked down (I lost it to high wind once) but I
still have to take it down for the winter and this will probably be the last
year I can actually undo the trumpet creeper.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for permanent structure - should I look
for steel or iron or another type of wood. I love the cedar one I have, but
tried to keep it up last winter - despite having it staked it still blew
over and ripped most of the trumpet vine off w/it - I thought it was doomed,
but luckily it's coming back wonderfully.

Any suggestions? What do you guys have for permanent structures?

Thanks
LeeAnne

--
------
If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay

Old 22-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Warren

LeeAnne wrote:
[...]

4x4 supports, embedded in concrete -- just like a fence. Cedar is fine.
Just treat it like a permanent structure, and not something just sitting
there "staked down".

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 22-07-2003, 03:44 AM
jammer

Any suggestions? What do you guys have for permanent structures?

Where is lrobi31070? She just got done with one.....

Old 22-07-2003, 02:02 PM

I live in zone 5 too. My husband puts all of our trellis's in concrete. He
puts a bolt in the bottom before placing it. Making sure it is level is the
trickiest part. They stay great.
Susie

Old 22-07-2003, 03:22 PM
LeeAnne

Unfortunately the location doesn't allow for me to pour concrete :-( It's a
staircase and there are plantings on either side that I'm going to have
growing up the arbor.

Any way for me to bolt or attach to an already existing piece of concrete?
The arbor is at the top of this existing cement staircase.

Maybe I can hammer/chisel out some existing concrete and pour some fresh to
bolt it in there.

argh,

Old 22-07-2003, 05:02 PM
ronm

go to a hardware store and tell them what you are trying to do. They should
be able to tell you how big a hole you need to drill and set you up with the
proper size anchors and bolts. Much easier and neater than chipping out
concrete.