Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Phisherman

Default How to "pinch" a plant

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:44:44 -0400, "Bernie"
wrote:

I've read numerous references to "pinching" plants. I assume
this is better than cutting, because it seals the stem somewhat
better. How does one actually perform the pinch? What if the
stem doesn't separate with a pinching action. Can you twist
it off?

Thanks again.

To make some plants bushy, pinch them back periodically. Use the
forefingernail and thumbnail to remove the uppermost small
leaves--usually two small leaves and a small stem. You could use a
knife or scissors, but you will find that fingers are easy and
convenient. For some plants, twisting off the top may tear the stem
and that takes longer to heal and could introduce disease. If
pinching doesn't cut it, then use scissors. Plants that are often
piched back include arrowhead, coleus, impatiens, or rosemary, but
there are many more.