Old 22-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Bernie

Default How to "pinch" a plant

I've read numerous references to "pinching" plants. I assume
this is better than cutting, because it seals the stem somewhat
better. How does one actually perform the pinch? What if the
stem doesn't separate with a pinching action. Can you twist
it off?

Thanks again.

Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Phisherman

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:44:44 -0400, "Bernie"
wrote:

I've read numerous references to "pinching" plants. I assume
this is better than cutting, because it seals the stem somewhat
better. How does one actually perform the pinch? What if the
stem doesn't separate with a pinching action. Can you twist
it off?

Thanks again.

To make some plants bushy, pinch them back periodically. Use the
forefingernail and thumbnail to remove the uppermost small
leaves--usually two small leaves and a small stem. You could use a
knife or scissors, but you will find that fingers are easy and
convenient. For some plants, twisting off the top may tear the stem
and that takes longer to heal and could introduce disease. If
pinching doesn't cut it, then use scissors. Plants that are often
piched back include arrowhead, coleus, impatiens, or rosemary, but
there are many more.
Old 22-07-2003, 05:40 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Many stores frown upon customers "pinching" plants because it is considered
stealing.

If you get caught you could end up in worse trouble than Winona Ryder!!!

If you try to twist it off, you could hurt yourself really bad.

news

Old 22-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

I've read numerous references to "pinching" plants. I assume
this is better than cutting, because it seals the stem somewhat
better. How does one actually perform the pinch? What if the
stem doesn't separate with a pinching action. Can you twist
it off?

To make some plants bushy, pinch them back periodically. Use the
forefingernail and thumbnail to remove the uppermost small
leaves--usually two small leaves and a small stem. You could use a
knife or scissors, but you will find that fingers are easy and
convenient. For some plants, twisting off the top may tear the stem
and that takes longer to heal and could introduce disease. If
pinching doesn't cut it, then use scissors. Plants that are often
piched back include arrowhead, coleus, impatiens, or rosemary, but
there are many more.

"Pinching" or "pinching back" refers to mini-pruning. That is,
removing the tip and a few leaves of a small plant by hand or
implement to make them bushier or remove flower/seed stalks (basil).
For obvious reasons, you don't "pinch back" a rose bush or an apple
tree -- you prune them. You don't try and twist off branches of any
size. There's nothing magic about pinching with fingernails. Scissors
or clippers will do fine.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:29 AM

I have a Schefflera Arbicola umbrella tree or I belive. Each stem has
eight ovalish looking leaves. Not sure if this will come out right but
below is what the leaves look like. Anyhow, please describe how this
works. What is pinching? How do you do it? and When should I do it with
this type of plant.
....|
...(|)
..(|||)
(|||||)
(|||||)
(|||||)
(|||||)
(|||||)
..(|||)
..(|||)
...(|)
....|
....|

Old 20-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Gary & Karen

Pinching is done for two reasons. It causes the plant to bush-out. Two,
pinching is used to keep the plant a desired size. For a light pinch,
remove the first two new leaves at the end of the branch. For heavy pinch
remove the first four new leafs. This is done on chrysanthems to make them
bush out, otherwise there might be only one flower at the end of the stem.
Hope this helps

Gary

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Schefflera Arbicola umbrella tree or I belive. Each stem has
eight ovalish looking leaves. Not sure if this will come out right but
below is what the leaves look like. Anyhow, please describe how this
works. What is pinching? How do you do it? and When should I do it with
this type of plant.
...|
..(|)
.(|||)