Old 22-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Frogleg

Default How do I tell when Cantalopes and Watermelons are Ripe.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:40:29 -0500, old whats his name
wrote:

I have heard that watermelons should have a yellow spot on the part
touching the ground. and they should have a certain thump when you tap
them with your finger.

And cantalpes must let go of the vine easily..

Is this true and what other ways can I tell

I don't understand why a yellow area indicates ripeness of watermelons
(which I have never grown and cannot offer expert advice for). Seems
to me a "yellow spot" would mean a place the sun don't shine (on).

Bob Provencher's post echoes my own experience with canteloupes. They
practically shout "pick me" when they're ripe; the color changes; they
become very fragrant; and the stem slips off with the slightest
pressure. And oh boy, are they good!