Old 22-07-2003, 02:03 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Tomatoes skins splitting

ojunk (AussieResc) wrote:

I had the problem of many of my tomatoes splitting their skins last year. I
would like to avoid this happening again. Was I watering too much or too
little that caused this to happen?
Pat

I had this starting on one or two tomatoes then it went away. From
research it said
Overwatering...especially when uneven (lots then none)
Too little leaves and high heat (tomatoes expand in sun)
Overfertilization causing too rapid growth

I think mine was overwatering. The trick seems to be getting enough
water to deep soak and then back off till the ground really needs it.
I added vermiculite and water-retention crystals to the dirt to help
even out the moisture over time. Despite overwatering and a muddy
May/June I only had those two fruit crack.

Here an agricultural article on the subject.
http://www.agrisupportonline.com/Art...n_tomatoes.htm

A HREF="http://members.aol.com/aussieresc"Aussies in Shelters/A
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/paltm81324"Dakota's Rescue Page/A

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)