Old 22-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Mich

Default Odd slug

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Mich
writes
This morning ( about 5.am) I found a 3inch long black slug (?) climbing

up
my cucumber plant in the greenhouse.

What about the back end? Did that also have a sucker thing?
Could it have been a leech?

I had a feeling ( gut reaction) it might have been a leech but I have never
seen one live before. And certainly not that size. All the leeches Ive ever
seen were little things. Pictures are not always the same as 3D
confrontation.

However, I still am not sure which variey it could have been .
It was black with brownish stripy(?) markings/ridges on it.

I didnt touch it. I got it off with the scissors - it was then I realised
it might not be a slug since it didnt quite look like one at that point -
and then cut it in half outside the greenhouse ( well I was denying a leech
and trying to make it a slug.... its only now I can admit it might have been
a leech)

I am still at a loss to know how it might have arrived since there is no
water ( as in pond or similar) near ( except a water butt )

I also looked for a slug trail ( the silvery mucus trail they usually leave)
around the plant ( wondering if there were more) and there were no trails at
all.