Old 22-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Mich

Default Odd slug

This morning ( about 5.am) I found a 3inch long black slug (?) climbing up
my cucumber plant in the greenhouse.

When I got it off ( it was stuck fast and a bit difficult to remove) its
front end was a bit odd in that it was all mouth ( just what appeared to be
a gaping hole at the front, no little horn type things a etc).

Anyone seen anything like it?

Was it possibly what I think it might have been - and if so , how did it get
there ? Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

PS - I killed it by cutting it in half with a pair of scissors. So I do not
have it as a specimen

Old 22-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mich
writes
This morning ( about 5.am) I found a 3inch long black slug (?) climbing up
my cucumber plant in the greenhouse.

When I got it off ( it was stuck fast and a bit difficult to remove) its
front end was a bit odd in that it was all mouth ( just what appeared to be
a gaping hole at the front, no little horn type things a etc).

What about the back end? Did that also have a sucker thing?
Could it have been a leech?

See the page below (leeches and earthworms are closely related) for pic,
and text reproduced here for convenience.

Leeches In the UK leeches are harmless to humans and mammals. Most of
the 20 or so species are small aquatic species. There are three large
species, Trocheta subviridis, Hirudo medicinalis - the medicinal leech,
now so rare that it is in danger of becoming extinct and Haemopsis
sanguisuga - the horse leech, a harmless predator of small
invertebrates. With the exception of Trocheta subviridis none of these
larger species are found more than a few feet from water. The medicinal
leech has pronounced red markings on its back while the horse leech is
uniform grey or dark green.
Trocheta subviridis - this is a European species of leech, growing up to
8 inches (20cm) long, that was introduced into the UK about 1850. It is
now quite widespread, breeding in water but spending much of its time in
soil where it feeds on earthworms and other invertebrates. It is
completely harmless to mammals (as are all British leeches with the
exception of the endangered species Hirudo medicinalis) but because of
its habit of finding its way into sewage systems and swimming against
the flow of water we regularly used to get specimens sent to us from
doctors. In one case a mother took her 2 children out of the bath and
pulled the plug out. When she went to clean the bath a few minutes later
there were two fat leeches in the bottom of the bath. She put 2 leeches
and 2 children together raced to the nearest hospital! On other
occasions patients have found them swimming in toilet bowels.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Mich

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Mich
writes
This morning ( about 5.am) I found a 3inch long black slug (?) climbing

up
my cucumber plant in the greenhouse.

What about the back end? Did that also have a sucker thing?
Could it have been a leech?

I had a feeling ( gut reaction) it might have been a leech but I have never
seen one live before. And certainly not that size. All the leeches Ive ever
seen were little things. Pictures are not always the same as 3D
confrontation.

However, I still am not sure which variey it could have been .
It was black with brownish stripy(?) markings/ridges on it.

I didnt touch it. I got it off with the scissors - it was then I realised
it might not be a slug since it didnt quite look like one at that point -
and then cut it in half outside the greenhouse ( well I was denying a leech
and trying to make it a slug.... its only now I can admit it might have been
a leech)

I am still at a loss to know how it might have arrived since there is no
water ( as in pond or similar) near ( except a water butt )

I also looked for a slug trail ( the silvery mucus trail they usually leave)
around the plant ( wondering if there were more) and there were no trails at
all.

Old 23-07-2003, 12:22 PM
A.Malhotra

Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Mich
writes
[...]

Why? Getting bitten by a leech (if thats what's implied actually happened)
is hardly a life-threatening emergency. Although you do imply it doesn't
bite mammals....so what was the problem?

Incidentally, Hirudo medicinalis is not the only UK species that is capable
of feeding on mammalian blood....the much more common horse leech does too.

Anita
Old 23-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mich
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Mich
writes
This morning ( about 5.am) I found a 3inch long black slug (?) climbing

up
my cucumber plant in the greenhouse.

What about the back end? Did that also have a sucker thing?
Could it have been a leech?

I had a feeling ( gut reaction) it might have been a leech but I have never
seen one live before. And certainly not that size. All the leeches Ive ever
seen were little things. Pictures are not always the same as 3D
confrontation.

However, I still am not sure which variey it could have been .
It was black with brownish stripy(?) markings/ridges on it.

The best guess, especially from the description of the front
end, is one of the amphibious leeches, some of them go quite a distance
from water. The sucker at the front end is entirely taken up with the
mouth and the one at the tail end is often hardly noticeable.

There are 3 UK species that reach that size,

Hirudo medicinalis, the medicinal leech - extremely rare in the UK and
not usually found very far from water.

Haemopsis sanguisuga, the horse leech (used to be used by leech
collectors to adulterate batches of medicinal leech). Dark brown - black
in colour.

Trocheta subviridis, Dutrochet's leech - even more common than the
horse leech and the only true terrestrial leech native to Europe. It is
often is dug up in gardens or found in drains, especially after heavy
rain. It was accidentally introduced to the UK from Europe in the late
19th century and has been spreading rapidly, usually dark olive green in
colour. Again it does not suck blood, feeding on earthworms and other
invertebrates (slugs, snails etc.).

I didnt touch it. I got it off with the scissors - it was then I realised
it might not be a slug since it didnt quite look like one at that point -
and then cut it in half outside the greenhouse ( well I was denying a leech
and trying to make it a slug.... its only now I can admit it might have been
a leech)

Killing it wasn't very friendly in any case. It wouldn't damage
your plants and it would feed on any greenhouse pests it came across.

I am still at a loss to know how it might have arrived since there is no
water ( as in pond or similar) near ( except a water butt )

I also looked for a slug trail ( the silvery mucus trail they usually leave)
around the plant ( wondering if there were more) and there were no trails at
all.

If it wasn't a leech (or a real slug) then the only thing I can
think of was a New Zealand flatworm, but their mouth is about 1/3 of the
way along the body on the underside, they leave a slug/snail type trail,
and are very slim for their length.
--
Edward Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 23-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , A.Malhotra
writes

It is
completely harmless to mammals (as are all British leeches with the
exception of the endangered species Hirudo medicinalis) but because of
its habit of finding its way into sewage systems and swimming against
the flow of water we regularly used to get specimens sent to us from
doctors. In one case a mother took her 2 children out of the bath and
pulled the plug out. When she went to clean the bath a few minutes later
there were two fat leeches in the bottom of the bath. She put 2 leeches
and 2 children together raced to the nearest hospital!

Why? Getting bitten by a leech (if thats what's implied actually happened)
is hardly a life-threatening emergency. Although you do imply it doesn't
bite mammals....so what was the problem?

Ignorance! :-)
I think she assumed that they'd come out of the children ;-)

btw - it's not me implying that it doesn't bite mammals, I was simply
quoting from Edward's web page, and as a professional oligochaetologist
(albeit retired) he's infinitely more qualified to comment than I am!

Edward taking over from here on:

Incidentally, Hirudo medicinalis is not the only UK species that is capable
of feeding on mammalian blood

It is also extremely rare in the UK, so rare that it is a
protected species. It is only known from 3 or 4 British sites. It is
relatively eay to recognise by the two longitudinal thin stripes running
along the top of its body.

....the much more common horse leech does too.

No it doesn't, not even blood of any sort. It feeds on aquatic
and soil invertebrates.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-07-2003, 09:22 AM
A.Malhotra

Kay Easton wrote:

Edward taking over from here on:

Incidentally, Hirudo medicinalis is not the only UK species that is capable
of feeding on mammalian blood

It is also extremely rare in the UK, so rare that it is a
protected species. It is only known from 3 or 4 British sites. It is
relatively eay to recognise by the two longitudinal thin stripes running
along the top of its body.

Yes I know: I live near one of its strongholds.

....the much more common horse leech does too.

No it doesn't, not even blood of any sort. It feeds on aquatic
and soil invertebrates.
--

Well, well...you learn something new everyday. Thanks for correcting me.
Anita

Slug eats slug Judith in England United Kingdom 38 27-09-2014 10:59 PM
Odd slug Mich United Kingdom 0 22-07-2003 04:33 PM
[IBC] Odd distinctions Andy Rutledge Bonsai 24 13-03-2003 10:45 PM
OT & a little odd, but perhaps you chaps can help me Simon K United Kingdom 9 27-12-2002 12:58 AM
OT, slightly odd but very genuine plea for help Paul Meech United Kingdom 6 30-11-2002 08:48 PM