Old 22-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Anne Lurie

Default O/T - Box Turtle diet

Thanks for all the suggestions. I won't put down any meat products or cat
food unless I actually see the turtle, as I don't want to attract possible
predators.

If dark "green leafy vegetables" includes weeds, there should be plenty for
him to eat! There are also lots of plants around to produce berries.

As for a burrow, I'll bet that one of my brush piles would be just the thing
for him, and he wouldn't even need to dig, just push aside some pine
needles.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Bob Adkins" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:59:13 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"

wrote:

yesterday i was looking for a BD present for my Granddaughter
specificaly a turtle noticed they have turtle food at wally world

Hope that was tortoise type turtle food.

Anne may have a problem finding turtle food in NC as they are illegal to
be sold here.

That's puzzling! Diamond backs are on the endangered list, but Eastern box
are like fleas on a dog's back. In eastern Louisiana there are so many in
the woods that you nearly trip over them. Here in SW Louisiana, they are
very scarce. Their woodland habitat is almost gone, and it's too wet for
them anyway. If their burrow floods while they are in hibernation, they

can
drown. The moisture here also afflict them with disfiguring fungus.

crawlers, superworms from Petsmart, cat food (fish flavoured only is his
*definite* preference) and assorted *drak* green leafy vegetables. All
of the diet suggestions were gleaned from extensive googling.

I recommend a meat treat 2-3 days per week, and feed them mostly

nutritious
leaves, mushrooms, and fruit. I think too much protein can nuke their
kidneys.

Bob