Old 22-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Joey

Default Improve DIY CO2???

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for a way to prolong the DIY CO2 production. I
think
there might be a way to improve the reaction a little. As we all know
the
yeast + sugar reaction will form co2 and alcohol following this
formula:

C6H12O6(glucose) -- 2C2H5OH(ethyl alcohol) + 2CO2

We also know that alcohol will breakdown the yeast; hence result in
lower production of CO2 overtime.

But we know that alcohol react with oxygen will result in vinegar and
water as so:

C2H5OH + O2 -- HC2H3O2(vinegar) + H2O

Hence, if we added HCO3- (Baking Soda) at the start of the reaction;
we will
have the following reaction.

HC2H3O2(Vinegar) + HCO3-(Baking Soda) -- H2CO3( carbonic acid) +
C2H3O2-(acetate ion)

The carbonic acid will then reduce to water and carbon dioxide as so:

H2CO3 -- H2O + CO2

All in all, the final result is that we able to breakdown the alcohol
and gain additional CO2 from its reaction with baking soda. Hence, the
main modification is to add baking soda to the solution( which most
people already did). In addition we need to have a way so that oxygen
can enter the system.

One way to do this is to have another another tube connect to the DIY
CO2 system which in turn connect to an air pump.

I would like to hear what everyone think about such a modification.

Joe