Old 22-07-2003, 11:09 PM
White Monkey

Default Cutting Phal. spike

Hi again,

I have these two Phal.'s I got as my intro to orchid keeping, and the second
one I bought was already on its second spike. Both plants have been
producing new leaves, one each, still small. In the natural course of time,
the second plant I bought lost its flowers and, knowing they normally only
do 2 sets, I just cut the dead spike off at a level equivalent to that at
which the store personnel had cut the other.

Now, the other plant is losing flowers in what looks like a totally normal
passage-of-time sort of way. I know that once they've all died off, I can
cut that spike to encourage it to grow a second... but where? Just down at
the bottom like the ones the other plant? The tag says "above the eye"...
what's "the eye"? One online resource says, "Count three nodes and cut".
From the top or the bottom?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Katrina