Old 22-07-2003, 11:09 PM
White Monkey

Default Cutting Phal. spike

Hi again,

I have these two Phal.'s I got as my intro to orchid keeping, and the second
one I bought was already on its second spike. Both plants have been
producing new leaves, one each, still small. In the natural course of time,
the second plant I bought lost its flowers and, knowing they normally only
do 2 sets, I just cut the dead spike off at a level equivalent to that at
which the store personnel had cut the other.

Now, the other plant is losing flowers in what looks like a totally normal
passage-of-time sort of way. I know that once they've all died off, I can
cut that spike to encourage it to grow a second... but where? Just down at
the bottom like the ones the other plant? The tag says "above the eye"...
what's "the eye"? One online resource says, "Count three nodes and cut".
From the top or the bottom?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Katrina

---

Old 22-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Tracey

I can cut that spike to encourage it to grow a
second... but where?

The one I cut I cut right below where the last flower
was and it's on it's second spike now.

Tracey

Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:29:37 GMT, Tracey
wrote:

I can cut that spike to encourage it to grow a
second... but where?

The one I cut I cut right below where the last flower
was and it's on it's second spike now.

Tracey

Good definition Tracey.
The node is the little tiny leaf type sheath wrapped around the
spike. It covers the location where the bud is hiding.
It protects that bud. It is usually about the same distance back
down the spike toward the plant as the second flower was from the
first. So not far at all.
If you cut the spike near that, with out damaging it or
disturbing it, it should develop a second flush of flowers.
Often in an attempt at better grooming on a plant people cut too
close and damage the bud. Better to cut long now and trim after
the new flowers have developed. Given that your plant is growing
leaves, Katrina, it should be healthy enough to support two
flowerings this year.

Producing flowers takes a lot of energy. Plants that are not
healthy and happy should be relieved of the chore. That is they
should not be forced to bloom a second time in one year.
With a trim of the spike, a sick plant can put it's energy into
becoming healthy enough to flower the following year.

Good growing both of you. And Welcome to a very rewarding and
long lasting fascination.
SuE
Old 27-07-2003, 04:12 PM
White Monkey

Thanks to everyone who responded. The spike still has 3 flowers, so I won't
be cutting it just yet. One flower just went ever so slightly darker--the
others (the three it's already lost) each gradually drooped and crumpled
over a 1 1/2 week period after they did that (one at a time), so it'll be a
little while before I can report back on a new spike or lack thereof!
--Katrina

---

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Dendrobium Spike cutting? Roger Boughner Orchids 13 28-07-2004 05:15 AM
cutting spike part-way a second time? J Fortuna Orchids 1 25-01-2004 11:32 AM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM