Old 22-07-2003, 11:23 PM
LeighMo

Default help... newbie

20-30 gallons seems a bit much for a
25 cent goldfish that is 1.5 inches long.

Your goldfish is stunted (probably due to poor water quality). If you've
really had him for two years, he should be 6" or bigger. My friend has two
goldfish in a 75 gallon tank, and they reached 8" each in eight months.

See this article on goldfish stocking:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/li...&RecordNo=3769

Despite the stereotype, goldfish aren't suited to be kept in bowls or small
tanks. They get too large and produce too much waste. A lot of people think
goldfish are small and short-lived. Kept in a bowl, they will be. In proper
conditions, they can get live decades and get to be 16" long.

I will assume that you mean that the current (stock) lighting in my
eclipse tank is considered "low-light".

Just about every tank you buy comes with a low-light hood. This is
intentional, to minimize algae growth in the tank. But if there's not enough
light for algae, there's not enough light for most plants, either.

Leigh