Old 23-07-2003, 02:22 AM
V_coerulea

Default How do I tell when Cantalopes and Watermelons are Ripe.

On watermelons, the underside is usually white on unripe melons. When ripe
the white turns to yellowish where the sun don't shine.
"Frogleg" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:40:29 -0500, old whats his name
wrote:

I have heard that watermelons should have a yellow spot on the part
touching the ground. and they should have a certain thump when you tap
them with your finger.

And cantalpes must let go of the vine easily..

Is this true and what other ways can I tell

I don't understand why a yellow area indicates ripeness of watermelons
(which I have never grown and cannot offer expert advice for). Seems
to me a "yellow spot" would mean a place the sun don't shine (on).

Bob Provencher's post echoes my own experience with canteloupes. They
practically shout "pick me" when they're ripe; the color changes; they
become very fragrant; and the stem slips off with the slightest
pressure. And oh boy, are they good!