Old 23-07-2003, 02:42 AM
Ricky

Default palm plants questions

"Seska Vedek" wrote in message
I have some palms that I have raised for several years. As they grow

taller
the stalk grows thicker and this concerns me because the stalk at the

bottom
is much thinner. I know with rubber and jade you can get roots to grow up
on the stalk and eventually cut it away to have a separate plant. Is this
something that can be done with a palm? Thanks

No. You can not air-layer a palm tree. If you cut the bark it will never
heal. Many palms will bulge in the upper trunk as they grow. This is a water
retention feature that occurs during times of drought. If you can post a
picture of the palm I might be able to ID it for you.

Ricky