Old 23-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default Vinegar for killing weeds -- follow up

My experience with vinegar as a weed killer is that it turns the plant brown,
weakens it a bit, but doesn't really kill it. It invariably bounces back to
life. Putting vinegar on is equivalent to pulling the plant out but not doing a
good job of getting the root. I've had better luck with boiling water if I can
put enough on so the water is still hot when it trickles down to the root. If I
can't boil the root, it is the same old story-- dead leaves + healthy root =
weed that comes back.

--Lia

Chelsea Christenson wrote:

In addition to posting here, I asked around and some friends have used
vinegar for weeds. So I figured, it's cheap, I'll give it a try. I
purchased jugs of vinegar from the grocery store (diluted to 5% acidity,
according to the label) and a new watering can (for better control). I
"watered" the weeds with the vinegar on the west-facing brick
sidewalk and gravel parking strip. Both get full sun, especially in the
afternoon. The weeds turned yellow within a few hours.

My friends had always used cider vinegar, so I started with that.
Afterwards, I tried a jug of plain vinegar, which is cheaper, and that
worked just as well.

In addition to killing the weeds, I'm enjoying the novelty of it all.