Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Clematis ID please

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Today I saw a must-have clematis in a front garden, growing all over a
wrought-iron gate and scrambling over bushes. It has small flowers
similar to alpina, but a deeper blue, more wide open and with 4
petals.
The only similar one I have seen in bloom at this time of year was at
Roseland House. Charlie Pridham had a wonderful one, similar to what I
saw today, growing on a trellis fence. I was delighted to buy one
from him but it died; sorry Charlie!
Any help as to name gratefully received!

Pam in Bristol

Its most likely a Clematis viticella seedling, the straight species is one
of the most garden worthy of all clematis, has lovely flowers but as you
have noted a charming habit (some of the hybrids have lovely flowers but
coarse foliage and stiff habit)
Re your casuality! if its still in the ground leave it be, they often come
back after a year or two :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk