Old 09-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Jayne

Default Clematis ID please

I have taken a photo of my clematis - I'd like to know what it is & also if
I can cut it right back as it is growing up our garage which needs to be
painted - this plant is as high as the garage roof.
You can see it here (hopefully):
http://www.geocities.com/bramblebears/clematis.jpg

Thanks!
Jayne

Old 09-04-2003, 06:20 PM
jane

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:26:42 +0000 (UTC), "Jayne"
wrote:

~I have taken a photo of my clematis - I'd like to know what it is & also if
~I can cut it right back as it is growing up our garage which needs to be
~painted - this plant is as high as the garage roof.
~You can see it here (hopefully):
~http://www.geocities.com/bramblebears/clematis.jpg

It's a Clematis alpina, and looks like a fairly standard form of it to me.
They are in pruning group 1, which means you normally don't, but my book
(RHS practicals) says you can cut back hard after flowering if necessary.
Then it has enough time to grow new shoots through the summer which will
hopefully flower next spring.

Best of luck

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 09-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

~I have taken a photo of my clematis - I'd like to know what it is & also if
~I can cut it right back as it is growing up our garage which needs to be
~painted - this plant is as high as the garage roof.
~You can see it here (hopefully):
~http://www.geocities.com/bramblebears/clematis.jpg

It's a Clematis alpina, and looks like a fairly standard form of it to me.
They are in pruning group 1, which means you normally don't, but my book
(RHS practicals) says you can cut back hard after flowering if necessary.
Then it has enough time to grow new shoots through the summer which will
hopefully flower next spring.

You can. It does. I do. Because it shoots from its roots, you can
even mow it after flowering and it will regrow happily! I have never
done that with an old plant not accustomed to that treatment, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Shirley

wrote:

~I have taken a photo of my clematis - I'd like to know what it is & also

if
~I can cut it right back as it is growing up our garage which needs to be
~painted - this plant is as high as the garage roof.
~You can see it here (hopefully):
~http://www.geocities.com/bramblebears/clematis.jpg

It's a Clematis alpina, and looks like a fairly standard form of it to me.
They are in pruning group 1, which means you normally don't, but my book
(RHS practicals) says you can cut back hard after flowering if necessary.
Then it has enough time to grow new shoots through the summer which will
hopefully flower next spring.

This looks just like one I bought last year, was un-named and part of a buy
2 get one free offer at a garden centre (the other 2 are Clematis Montana
types one white and one pink). I have mine growing in a pot at the moment
and it seems happy (it's flowering at the moment), it's against a north
facing fence and my neighbour has just replaced the 3ft fence with a 5ft one
so I'm wondering if there's a better position for it now and should I plant
it in the soil or keep it in the pot (18"dia x 18" deep) ?
--
Shirley
see my cats at

Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Shirley wrote:

This looks just like one I bought last year, was un-named and part of a buy
2 get one free offer at a garden centre (the other 2 are Clematis Montana
types one white and one pink). I have mine growing in a pot at the moment
and it seems happy (it's flowering at the moment), it's against a north
facing fence and my neighbour has just replaced the 3ft fence with a 5ft one
so I'm wondering if there's a better position for it now and should I plant
it in the soil or keep it in the pot (18"dia x 18" deep) ?

If it is C. alpina, then it is a good plant for a north facing position,
and a 5' fence is ideal. I would plant it in the ground, assuming that
your soil drains reasonably well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-07-2003, 04:11 AM
Paul England

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Today I saw a must-have clematis in a front garden,

snip
If you haven't done so already, the following clematis site is worth saving
to favs

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/clemlistsearch.cfm

Paul

Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Today I saw a must-have clematis in a front garden, growing all over a
wrought-iron gate and scrambling over bushes. It has small flowers
similar to alpina, but a deeper blue, more wide open and with 4
petals.
The only similar one I have seen in bloom at this time of year was at
Roseland House. Charlie Pridham had a wonderful one, similar to what I
saw today, growing on a trellis fence. I was delighted to buy one
from him but it died; sorry Charlie!
Any help as to name gratefully received!

Pam in Bristol

Its most likely a Clematis viticella seedling, the straight species is one
of the most garden worthy of all clematis, has lovely flowers but as you
have noted a charming habit (some of the hybrids have lovely flowers but
coarse foliage and stiff habit)
Re your casuality! if its still in the ground leave it be, they often come
back after a year or two :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk