Old 23-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Bob Adkins

Default O/T - Box Turtle diet

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:14:08 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

BTW, in case you are curious about what sex your box turtle is, it's
easy. Turn them over and look at the bottom plate (plastron) The male
will have a concave indentation parallel to the tail whereas the female
will be flat with no concavity.

Also, one sex has a slightly shorter tail. I used to know, but forgot which
sex has the shorter tail.

I think there is also a subtle difference in the rear edge of the carapace
too. One has more pronounced zig-zags, but again I forget which sex.

My brother had an eastern box named "Bobcat" for 15 years. He was no telling
how old when he was rescued from a big dog. I think they normally live 40-60
years.

I once heard a noise in the weeds, and noticed it was coming from a
misplaced basketball. The basketball was *moving! I snuck up on the ball,
and it was an amorous male turtle trying to mount the ball. Silly turtle!

Bob