Old 23-07-2003, 05:02 PM
James Curts

Default Do rose blossoms come in two colors?

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.7cebfae42a4c68f10d0c8e4c97b94fe6 @1058973848.cotse.net...
Okay, I'll bite. What is the name of this rose? If you don't know, how

about a pic?

I call it Old Buddy. The neighbors calls it a stickery SOB. The grand kids
won't get near it and call it Old Meany.

It came into being a couple or three generations ago and I do not know the
source although it may have come here in a steamer trunk from Ireland. When
we moved to a new home I just sliced into the root with a shovel and stuffed
the chunk in a bucket where it wintered.

I do not have a picture of it. The first setting of flowers has very
pronounced black lacey weave in the outer row of petals and as the season
progresses the black seems to become less pronounced until in the fall the
flowers are just red and not nearly so brilliant.

The folks at the garden club just sort of snort and go back to muttering
about whatever those types mutter about. So no help there.

The neighbor ladies always want one of the early flowers and I tell them to
help themselves. Seldom do they get one as the thorns do a great defensive
job. One old crone comes each spring and never says a word. Just pulls on
her leather gauntlets and hacks off a flower and grins real big and wanders
back home. She also occasionally leaves a large pail of raspberries in the
garage and still without saying a word.

My grandmother and then my father fell in love with this rose and I guess it
just sort of rubbed off on me. Just some the Irish nostalgia I guess.

I really need to get a camera. Just sold a Canon Elan II that I wasn't smart
enough to operate. Been looking at a couple of digital cameras but haven't
splurged yet.

Take care and keep the pretty side up (er, on the flowers too).

Jim