Old 23-07-2003, 06:32 PM
sw

Default Fussy Sparrows

Amos E. Wolfe wrote:

I recently put up a bird feeder in my front garden, hoping to see such
things as blue tits, finches etc. Currently all I have attracted is some
rather fussy sparrows (

They land on the perches and then proceed to pick through what is there,
occasionlly pausing to eat something. They do this with such a vigorous
flicking motion that a large amount gets spilled on the grass below.

I would estimate that they eat 20% while 80% gets dropped. The feeder
contains what is branded as "seed supreme" - a mixture of wheat? grains,
corn, dried peas and sunflower seeds.

Apart from starting to grow crops in my lawn from the discarded seed is
there anything I can do??

Much of the seed included (peas, grains, corn) is more suitable to
pigeons and chickens than small wild birds, so they'll discard it in the
hunt for oil-rich sunflower seed. Normally a pigeon or three will be
along in a minute to clean up the mess (they like peas and such). I feed
the 'RSPB hi-energy no mess' mix from CJ Wildbird; it's probably more
expensive than the one you're using, but it is also much more suitable
for the smaller wild birds such as tits, greenfinch, goldfinch and of
course sparrows. So I'd suggest changing the seed (if you can bear the
cost).

I'd also suggest putting up something to catch spilled seed (some still
pick and choose a bit). If you're using a smallish feeder, you may be
able to buy a seed tray for it (if you visit www.birdfood.com, go to the
online shop, select 'accessories', then 'RSPB accessories' and scroll
down to see one). My large tubular feeder is mounted on top of a pole
rather than suspended from something. I've put a big squirrel guard
upside-down on the pole underneath it and this catches almost all the
spilled seed. Pigeons and blackbirds take this seed, so it isn't wasted.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.