Old 23-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Amos E. Wolfe

Default Fussy Sparrows

I recently put up a bird feeder in my front garden, hoping to see such
things as blue tits, finches etc. Currently all I have attracted is some
rather fussy sparrows (

They land on the perches and then proceed to pick through what is there,
occasionlly pausing to eat something. They do this with such a vigorous
flicking motion that a large amount gets spilled on the grass below.

I would estimate that they eat 20% while 80% gets dropped. The feeder
contains what is branded as "seed supreme" - a mixture of wheat? grains,
corn, dried peas and sunflower seeds.

Apart from starting to grow crops in my lawn from the discarded seed is
there anything I can do??

--
-= Amos E. Wolfe =-
The artist formerly known as =# Ben #=

Old 23-07-2003, 06:32 PM
sw

Amos E. Wolfe wrote:

I recently put up a bird feeder in my front garden, hoping to see such
things as blue tits, finches etc. Currently all I have attracted is some
rather fussy sparrows (

They land on the perches and then proceed to pick through what is there,
occasionlly pausing to eat something. They do this with such a vigorous
flicking motion that a large amount gets spilled on the grass below.

I would estimate that they eat 20% while 80% gets dropped. The feeder
contains what is branded as "seed supreme" - a mixture of wheat? grains,
corn, dried peas and sunflower seeds.

Apart from starting to grow crops in my lawn from the discarded seed is
there anything I can do??

Much of the seed included (peas, grains, corn) is more suitable to
pigeons and chickens than small wild birds, so they'll discard it in the
hunt for oil-rich sunflower seed. Normally a pigeon or three will be
along in a minute to clean up the mess (they like peas and such). I feed
the 'RSPB hi-energy no mess' mix from CJ Wildbird; it's probably more
expensive than the one you're using, but it is also much more suitable
for the smaller wild birds such as tits, greenfinch, goldfinch and of
course sparrows. So I'd suggest changing the seed (if you can bear the
cost).

I'd also suggest putting up something to catch spilled seed (some still
pick and choose a bit). If you're using a smallish feeder, you may be
able to buy a seed tray for it (if you visit www.birdfood.com, go to the
online shop, select 'accessories', then 'RSPB accessories' and scroll
down to see one). My large tubular feeder is mounted on top of a pole
rather than suspended from something. I've put a big squirrel guard
upside-down on the pole underneath it and this catches almost all the
spilled seed. Pigeons and blackbirds take this seed, so it isn't wasted.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 23-07-2003, 09:32 PM
David Hill

"......... They land on the perches and then proceed to pick through what is
there, occasionlly pausing to eat something. They do this with such a
vigorous flicking motion that a large amount gets spilled on the grass
below. .........."

If they didn't then the ground feeding birds would go hungry

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Amos E. Wolfe
writes
I recently put up a bird feeder in my front garden, hoping to see such
things as blue tits, finches etc. Currently all I have attracted is some
rather fussy sparrows (

They land on the perches and then proceed to pick through what is there,
occasionlly pausing to eat something. They do this with such a vigorous
flicking motion that a large amount gets spilled on the grass below.

I would estimate that they eat 20% while 80% gets dropped. The feeder
contains what is branded as "seed supreme" - a mixture of wheat? grains,
corn, dried peas and sunflower seeds.

Apart from starting to grow crops in my lawn from the discarded seed is
there anything I can do??

Try getting a 'cereal free' bird food - one which is high in sunflower
and other things - find the CJ birdfoods web site (links from the BTO
site IIRC).

Tits prefer insects to seeds, so they'll go for fat and live foods like
meal worms.

And remember that the sparrow population has declined dramatically over
recent years, so you're doing a good job ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 23-07-2003, 11:32 PM
ned

Amos E. Wolfe wrote:
I recently put up a bird feeder in my front garden, hoping to see

such
things as blue tits, finches etc. Currently all I have attracted is
some rather fussy sparrows (

They land on the perches and then proceed to pick through what is
there, occasionlly pausing to eat something. They do this with such

vigorous flicking motion that a large amount gets spilled on the
grass below.

I would estimate that they eat 20% while 80% gets dropped. The

feeder
contains what is branded as "seed supreme" - a mixture of wheat?
grains, corn, dried peas and sunflower seeds.

Apart from starting to grow crops in my lawn from the discarded seed
is there anything I can do??

As 'sw' has suggested, try fitting a seed catcher to the feeder.
I have fitted a 12" plant pot saucer to my feeder and that has
certainly 'contained' the spillage. So what isn't eaten at the first
sitting is available for later.
My feeder hangs from a tree with open ground underneath and it is
quite surprising what germinates there. Lots of carrots - and one or
two exotics!

--
ned

Old 24-07-2003, 08:22 AM
AndWhyNot

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:26:54 +0000 (UTC), "Amos E. Wolfe"
wrote:

I recently put up a bird feeder in my front garden, hoping to see such
things as blue tits, finches etc. Currently all I have attracted is some
rather fussy sparrows (

Oh please don't be sad about that ........... sparrows are almost on a
'red' list of endagered species ......... and if you have tree
sparrows (slightly smaller, a tad more colourful, brown 'cap' and
black spot on the cheeks - take a bit of seeing - but once you see one
that's it - male & female the same)

They land on the perches and then proceed to pick through what is there,
occasionlly pausing to eat something. They do this with such a vigorous
flicking motion that a large amount gets spilled on the grass below.

I would estimate that they eat 20% while 80% gets dropped. The feeder
contains what is branded as "seed supreme" - a mixture of wheat? grains,
corn, dried peas and sunflower seeds.

Apart from starting to grow crops in my lawn from the discarded seed is
there anything I can do??

Put another feeder out with other seed, and experiment ..........
don't forget a bird bath as well if possible nearby .......
Old 24-07-2003, 03:02 PM
VivienB

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:32:35 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

Apart from starting to grow crops in my lawn from the discarded seed is
there anything I can do??

Try getting a 'cereal free' bird food - one which is high in sunflower
and other things - find the CJ birdfoods web site (links from the BTO
site IIRC).

I have been successfully using the husk-free seed mix from Haith's
(www.haiths.com). They deliver free, if you order £10-worth or more.

Regards, VivienB
Old 24-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Roger The Rabbit

Rubbish, sparrows are not endangered. They are fussy, and that's why
they're in decline. Improved farming means that lower availability of spilt
grain. This is the stuff they love and this is why they're in decline. It's
actually nature rebalancing.
I wish we had more sparrows in my area, but they haven't taken to it.
Five minutes down the road, you can get dragged into a dark alley by
them, there are so many.
If you want finches, try niger seed (you'll need a special feeder and tray).
Also, get a table with dried berries. Go for this combination and you'll
soon be overrun with all types of birds (including fussy sparrows).

s.com...

Old 26-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , sw
writes
I feed
the 'RSPB hi-energy no mess' mix from CJ Wildbird; it's probably more
expensive than the one you're using, but it is also much more suitable
for the smaller wild birds such as tits, greenfinch, goldfinch and of
course sparrows. So I'd suggest changing the seed (if you can bear the
cost).

Same here but I buy it in large sacks and get through one a month
because so many blinking doves and pigeons come along about 5 to eat the
seed! I put up one of those cages that fit round a feeder to stop all
but the large birds getting the seed but only the blue tits and
greenfinches will go through the bars. I left the other six feeders
alone so at least the sparrows get some food.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph