Old 23-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default O/T - Box Turtle diet

Bob Adkins wrote:

Also, one sex has a slightly shorter tail. I used to know, but forgot which
sex has the shorter tail.

Males have the shorter tail but it's really hard to tell if you don't
have a male and female to compare in front of you. However, the
concavity of the plastron (underside shell of the turtle) is really obvious.

I think there is also a subtle difference in the rear edge of the carapace
too. One has more pronounced zig-zags, but again I forget which sex.

Not sure about that as I've never heard that before.

My brother had an eastern box named "Bobcat" for 15 years. He was no telling
how old when he was rescued from a big dog. I think they normally live 40-60
years.

Dogs are notorious for thinking box turtles are fun chew toys. I used
to have to take them off our german shepherd all the time but this is
also the dog that thought chewing rocks was fun!

I once heard a noise in the weeds, and noticed it was coming from a
misplaced basketball. The basketball was *moving! I snuck up on the ball,
and it was an amorous male turtle trying to mount the ball. Silly turtle!

*laugh*

I'm really hoping that when I release Mr. Turtle into the yard that he
decides to stick around. He can probably take up residence with
Hawkfood (the wild baby rabbit) who lives under my rosemary bush in my
herb garden.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu