Old 23-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Lattés

Default Couldn't be much more of a newbie... need some advice :)

Hey all, been doing a bit of lurking here and you guys are all great, almost
any question I have had is already answered

So this is my first year growing ANYTHING but lo and behold, I absolutely
love it! It is wonderfully relaxing to do a bit of work in my garden every
morning before work while having a coffee (is it ok to put coffee ends in my
plants?)

This year I simply have about a dozen planters in my backyard with tomatoes,
cucumbers, zucchini (no hex for me :-D) eggplant, hot peppers and peas.

Next year what I WANT to do is a big veggie garden in my front yard.

Here is what I need help with. I have a mature tree in the front yard (good
to diffuse light for a lot of veggies during mid day sun) and right now I
have some perennials at the edges and grass in the middle (I live in the
city, small front yard, about 20'x25') what I want to do is pull out all the
perennials and rototill the whole thing, get rid of the grass and put down a
LOT of good earth. I have been told by a couple of people that this would
not work because the tree would take all the good stuff from the soil and
not leave anything left for my veggies but these are the same people that
said that I couldn't grow veggies from the planters that I have so I don't
really believe them.

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated

All the best
Dave