Old 23-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Lattés

Default Couldn't be much more of a newbie... need some advice :)

Most vegetables don't need to be shaded from mid-day sun. They are,
with a few exceptions, "full sun" plants, which means a *minimum* of
6hrs direct sun a day, and more is better. "Dappled shade" is *not*
for vegetables.

Thanks, I still think I will go ahead with it though and go with veggies
that do like "dappled shade" If you have any suggestions that would be
wonderful

Tilling around a tree will probably kill either the tree, the tiller,
or both. You didn't say what kind of a tree it was, or how large, but
there's a good chance there are sturdy roots just below the surface at
least out to the 'drip line' (the tips of the branches).

Hmmm... ok next is to figure out how to go about getting rid of the grass
and getting the soil growable.

If you've been lurking, you may have read of 'neighborly' disputes
that seem destined for the courts. While I agree that "lawn" is a
waste of space, and would much rather see that space used more
productively, your neighbors may feel otherwise. Just a point to
consider.

My neighborhood is actually pretty good like that, I'm not really in the
suburbs and if you walk up my street you get to see EVERY type of front lawn
you can imagine, from rock gardens, to veggies, to trees, to flowers to
weeds

For a "really big" veggie garden, you might look for a community
garden arrangement in your area. They're a lot more common in Europe,
but not unknown here. Congrats on your success with containers.

There are actually a lot of community gardens in Toronto but the problem is
that everyone I know that has had one has not done too well with their spot.
Partly because local homeless people harvest the veggies before they get to
and they often get overwatered because people get the idea of "Oh, I will
water their garden for them and be nice" DOH!

Thanks for the kudos on the containers, I am personally quite surprised but
it is really encouraging. I guess I have some kind of green thumb because I
killed my peas transplanting them and took the dried peas in the pods and
planted them and they all grew! Whodathunkit?

Thanks so much you guys are great!
dave