Old 24-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Brian Sandle

Default Paying to find non-GE wild corn?

David Kendra wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
David Kendra wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Epithelial cells.

It looks like the whole article is free to read:

Linkname: J. Bact -- Ferguson et al. 184 (8): 2235
http://jb.asm.org/cgi/content/full/1...&pmid=11914355
size: 947 lines

The cells are artificially cultured in vitro. How do they compare to

true
non-dividing epithelial cells? Thanks.

I thought the epithelial cells, such as line the gut, would be
frequently dividing.

The epithelial cells in our guts do in deed divide albeit at a slower rate
than in vitro culture. Perhaps more importantly they are sluffed off after
a period of time as part of the natural process.

So have to divide quickly to be replacing.

Cells in culture can
survive for extended periods of time as long as fresh media is added and
toxic metabolites removed.

So first you complain there is a difference because you say they are
not living long, then you complain because you say they are living
long.

Much bigger differences in GM food.

Search for Schubbert R for some info on the fate of the foreign DNA.

I am well aware of work on foreign DNA. It is a natural process that takes
place all the time

So do you or do you not believe foreign DNA is brken down in the
gut?

- so in essence, ALL DNA is GE!!!!

DNA varies, but GE DNA cheats.

What is your take on
this work?

U.S. National Library of Medicine Gateway
On the fate of orally ingested foreign DNA in mice: chromosomal
association and placental transmission to the fetus.

Schubbert R, Hohlweg U, Renz D, Doerfler W.

Mol Gen Genet. 1998 Oct;259(6):569-76.
Institute of Genetics, University of Cologne, Koeln,
Germany.

We have previously shown that, when administered orally
to mice, bacteriophage M13 DNA, as a paradigm foreign DNA
without homology to the mouse genome, can persist in
fragmented form in the gastrointestinal tract, penetrate
the intestinal wall, and reach the nuclei of leukocytes,
spleen and liver cells. Similar results were obtained
when a plasmid containing the gene for the green
fluorescent protein (pEGFP-C1) was fed to mice. In
spleen, the foreign DNA was detected in covalent linkage
to DNA with a high degree of homology to mouse genes,
perhaps pseudogenes, or to authentic E. coli DNA. We have
now extended these studies to the offspring of mice that
were fed regularly during pregnancy with a daily dose of
50 microg of M13 or pEGFP-C1 DNA. Using the polymerase
chain reaction (PCR) or the fluorescent in situ
hybridization (FISH) method, foreign DNA, orally ingested
by pregnant mice, can be discovered in various organs of
fetuses and of newborn animals. The M13 DNA fragments
have a length of about 830 bp. In various organs of the
mouse fetus, clusters of cells contain foreign DNA as
revealed by FISH. The foreign DNA is invariably located
in the nuclei. We have never found all cells of the fetus
to be transgenic for the foreign DNA. This distribution
pattern argues for a transplacental pathway rather than
for germline transmission which might be expected only
after long-time feeding regimens. In rare cells of three
different fetuses, whose mothers have been fed with M 13
DNA during gestation, the foreign DNA was detected by
FISH in association with both chromatids. Is maternally
ingested foreign DNA a potential mutagen for the
developing fetus?

And I bet if there is any more info on this it will be unlikely to
get published easily. Who goes out bragging about their troubles?