Old 24-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Christopher Norton

Default strawberry question

The message
from "suedaniels" contains these words:

Gosh, we've been growing strawberries pretty successfully for over 10 years
now and have never cut off the first year runners. We've always pinched off
the first year blooms, though. What is the reason for snipping the runners,
does it make for a healthier plant?
Thanks,
Sue

Strength goes into fruit or a stronger plant so first year runners
should be culled. 2nd and 3rd year take runners. 3rd year once runners
detached the original plant heads to the composter at the back. Thats
how it`s done over here anyway. We find that the plant loses its vigour
and the berries ar`nt as good after the 3rd year. IMHO I`d cull in the
2nd year as these are the best tasting for my liking, 3rd years seem to
be a bit hit and miss.

I have a nice area for strawbs in the allotment for next year and will
be doing a rotation system to ensure the very best crop for a few years.
Sort of 1 year, 2 year, 3 year blocks.

I like Strawberry`s!!!!