Old 21-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Lauradog

Default strawberry question

We put in new strawberry plants this year and they looked really healthy all
summer, putting out runners all over the place. But during the past week their
leaves have begun to pale, not yellow, just a paler green. Any idea what could
be causing this? We had the same problem a few years ago with blackberries.
TIA
Lauradog
Old 22-07-2003, 03:48 AM
Noydb

Lauradog wrote:

We put in new strawberry plants this year and they looked really healthy
all
summer, putting out runners all over the place. But during the past week
their
leaves have begun to pale, not yellow, just a paler green. Any idea what
could
be causing this? We had the same problem a few years ago with
blackberries. TIA
Lauradog

With no clue where you are, a wild guess this time of year would be "heat".

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 22-07-2003, 03:48 AM
suedaniels

"Noydb" wrote in message
Lauradog wrote:

We put in new strawberry plants this year and they looked really healthy
all
summer, putting out runners all over the place. But during the past

week
their
leaves have begun to pale, not yellow, just a paler green. Any idea

what
could
be causing this? We had the same problem a few years ago with
blackberries. TIA
Lauradog

With no clue where you are, a wild guess this time of year would be

"heat".

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm in zone 7. That's probably the
answer, we've had temps ranging from 101-106 this past week. Thanks.
Lauradog

Old 24-07-2003, 01:42 AM
V_coerulea

Since what you describe is a possible symptom of many different nutritional
disorders (from nitrogen to magnesium, etc deficiencies), without seeing the
plants and knowing your soil type, where in the US you are beside z7, I'd
recommend a balanced fertilizer with micronutrients. And cut off those
runners in the first year!
Gary
wrote in message
On 21 Jul 2003 20:37:10 GMT, (Lauradog) wrote:

We put in new strawberry plants this year and they looked really healthy

all
summer, putting out runners all over the place. But during the past week

their
leaves have begun to pale, not yellow, just a paler green. Any idea what

could
be causing this? We had the same problem a few years ago with

blackberries.
TIA
Lauradog

Is the leaf pale all over, or has darker green veins?

If so, may be chlorosis; needs iron (chelated).

--

Persephone

Old 24-07-2003, 04:32 AM
suedaniels

wrote in message
On 21 Jul 2003 20:37:10 GMT, (Lauradog) wrote:

We put in new strawberry plants this year and they looked really

healthy
all
summer, putting out runners all over the place. But during the past

week
their
leaves have begun to pale, not yellow, just a paler green. Any idea

what
could
be causing this? We had the same problem a few years ago with

blackberries.
TIA
Lauradog

Is the leaf pale all over, or has darker green veins?

If so, may be chlorosis; needs iron (chelated).

--

Persephone

We're about 15 miles south of Oklahoma City. Our county extension agent
looked at our strawberry leaves today and feels it is from the use of
Roundup in the vicinity. He thinks some of the spray my husband used along
a fence line about 20 feet from the raised strawberry beds must have drifted
on the wind and hit the leaves. He doesn't think it's a soil problem.
Although he suggested we sprout some cucumber seeds then plant half in soil
from the strawberry bed and half in potting soil. He said that would let us
determine whether or not the problem is the soil.

Gosh, we've been growing strawberries pretty successfully for over 10 years
now and have never cut off the first year runners. We've always pinched off
the first year blooms, though. What is the reason for snipping the runners,
does it make for a healthier plant?
Thanks,
Sue

Old 24-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "suedaniels" contains these words:

Gosh, we've been growing strawberries pretty successfully for over 10 years
now and have never cut off the first year runners. We've always pinched off
the first year blooms, though. What is the reason for snipping the runners,
does it make for a healthier plant?
Thanks,
Sue

Strength goes into fruit or a stronger plant so first year runners
should be culled. 2nd and 3rd year take runners. 3rd year once runners
detached the original plant heads to the composter at the back. Thats
how it`s done over here anyway. We find that the plant loses its vigour
and the berries ar`nt as good after the 3rd year. IMHO I`d cull in the
2nd year as these are the best tasting for my liking, 3rd years seem to
be a bit hit and miss.

I have a nice area for strawbs in the allotment for next year and will
be doing a rotation system to ensure the very best crop for a few years.
Sort of 1 year, 2 year, 3 year blocks.

I like Strawberry`s!!!!

Old 24-07-2003, 05:22 PM
suedaniels

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message
[...]

We have four beds of strawberries, and have followed the same pattern until
this year. We always took out the oldest bed each year and put new plants
in. That way we had strawberries every year. This year is the first time
we've done all new plants, because after producing last year they all turned
pale and we thought they had some kind of disease. Our whole family was
disappointed at having a strawberry-free spring. Hmmm. Is it too late in
the season to snip the runners? Our new plants seem to be recovering from
whatever paled their leaves and are greening up again. Maybe it was the
Roundup drifting on the wind.
Thanks
Sue