Old 24-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Rod

Default Large branch fell of ash tree

"Snowman" wrote in message ...
This morning about 5 am we were awoken by a creaking, splintering sound and
discovered later that a large branch had broken off a large mature ash tree
at the bottom of the garden. I don't quite know how tall the tree is, but it
is big. The branch came from about half way up and at the thick end is about
10" diameter, it's about 24' long, with side branches etc. It's now covering
the bottom end of the garden.

My question is this - why should such a large branch break off? Smaller
branches have dropped off in the past, but nothing this big in the 19 years
we've been here. There are plenty of leaves on this branch and on the rest
of the tree. Is it just natural ageing, or could the tree have other
problems?

Peter.

Just normal behaviour for big hardwoods, it happens less commonly with Ash than with Oak and Beech. Usually a bit
earlier in the summer than this just when the trees are newly filled with sap and leaves. No way you can predict it -
even looking for rotten sick looking limbs doesn't help, it's often the big healthy ones that fall and I know a lot of
rotten trees and branches that have looked ready to fall for over 20 years and they haven't, they'll probably see me out
before they fall. If you are in any doubt consult a professional arborist, all they can do is advise removal of anything
likely to be a threat to people or property if it fell - they won't be able to predict if it will or won't fall, though
they'll be able to make a slightly more informed guess than most folks.

Rod