Old 24-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Snowman

Default Large branch fell of ash tree

This morning about 5 am we were awoken by a creaking, splintering sound and
discovered later that a large branch had broken off a large mature ash tree
at the bottom of the garden. I don't quite know how tall the tree is, but it
is big. The branch came from about half way up and at the thick end is about
10" diameter, it's about 24' long, with side branches etc. It's now covering
the bottom end of the garden.

My question is this - why should such a large branch break off? Smaller
branches have dropped off in the past, but nothing this big in the 19 years
we've been here. There are plenty of leaves on this branch and on the rest
of the tree. Is it just natural ageing, or could the tree have other
problems?

Peter.

Old 24-07-2003, 05:02 PM
gastropod

"Snowman" wrote in message
[...]

Check the colour of the wood in the crack. If it is white and clean looking
then the limb was unlikely to be sick. The dry weather can make some
species brittle and this may be the cause.
Neil

Old 24-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Rod

"Snowman" wrote in message ...
This morning about 5 am we were awoken by a creaking, splintering sound and
discovered later that a large branch had broken off a large mature ash tree
at the bottom of the garden. I don't quite know how tall the tree is, but it
is big. The branch came from about half way up and at the thick end is about
10" diameter, it's about 24' long, with side branches etc. It's now covering
the bottom end of the garden.

My question is this - why should such a large branch break off? Smaller
branches have dropped off in the past, but nothing this big in the 19 years
we've been here. There are plenty of leaves on this branch and on the rest
of the tree. Is it just natural ageing, or could the tree have other
problems?

Peter.

Just normal behaviour for big hardwoods, it happens less commonly with Ash than with Oak and Beech. Usually a bit
earlier in the summer than this just when the trees are newly filled with sap and leaves. No way you can predict it -
even looking for rotten sick looking limbs doesn't help, it's often the big healthy ones that fall and I know a lot of
rotten trees and branches that have looked ready to fall for over 20 years and they haven't, they'll probably see me out
before they fall. If you are in any doubt consult a professional arborist, all they can do is advise removal of anything
likely to be a threat to people or property if it fell - they won't be able to predict if it will or won't fall, though
they'll be able to make a slightly more informed guess than most folks.

Rod

Old 24-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Snowman

"gastropod" wrote in message
"Snowman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that - it certainly is white where it broke. Although It's 25 to
30 feet up, it stands out like a sore thumb (a white one) an the bit on the
ground is the same.

Peter.

Old 25-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Marcus Fox

"Rod" wrote in message

"Snowman" wrote in message

[...]

Certainly have it checked out. If the branch is really large, then it's loss
will unbalance the tree on one side. At my uni, a couple of years ago, a
branch about 18 inches thick came off a rather ancient cedar in high winds
and landed across a number of parked cars. The tree was removed soon after,
the reason being it was unbalanced and dangerous.

Marcus

Old 25-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Katharine Mill

"Snowman" wrote in message ...
This morning about 5 am we were awoken by a creaking, splintering sound and
discovered later that a large branch had broken off a large mature ash tree
at the bottom of the garden.

No wisdom to offer, but fascinated to read this thread. I had exactly
the same experience - albeit on a much smaller scale - about 2 weeks
ago with an 8' long branch of lilac tree. It was a baking hot
afternoon with no wind, and I assumed ants might have eaten away at
the wood, but that break too was clean. I was actually quite pleased,
as I'd wanted to prune the tree. Only problem now is, how to get rid
of the wood... where's an axeman when you need one?
Old 25-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike

In article , Katharine
Mill writes
"Snowman" wrote in message news:r7QTa.669$hD1.8700@newsfep4
-glfd.server.ntli.net...

Only problem now is, how to get rid
of the wood... where's an axeman when you need one?

:-(( Same problem :-((

We have over 20 trees to fell and get rid of. Some only a few inches in
diameter, some up to 24 inches in diameter. Offered them around, felled
and on the ground!! But does anyone want them? :-(( No

(We have to have the professionals in to fell them because of the
gardens/houses around them, but once on the ground....... there for the
taking)

Mike

British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
National Service (RAF) Association Scarborough. Nov 7th - 10th (Nearly Full)

Old 25-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Snowman

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Katharine
Mill writes

------
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
National Service (RAF) Association Scarborough. Nov 7th - 10th (Nearly

Full)

Fortunately for the smaller parts I've got a shedder that was recently
bought for me for my birthday - that thing is amazing. For the larger parts
a neighbour wants them for their open fire. It's just the very big parts
that might be a problem - maybe I can turn them into a garden feature!

Peter.