Old 24-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Roger The Rabbit

Default Fussy Sparrows

Rubbish, sparrows are not endangered. They are fussy, and that's why
they're in decline. Improved farming means that lower availability of spilt
grain. This is the stuff they love and this is why they're in decline. It's
actually nature rebalancing.
I wish we had more sparrows in my area, but they haven't taken to it.
Five minutes down the road, you can get dragged into a dark alley by
them, there are so many.
If you want finches, try niger seed (you'll need a special feeder and tray).
Also, get a table with dried berries. Go for this combination and you'll
soon be overrun with all types of birds (including fussy sparrows).

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:26:54 +0000 (UTC), "Amos E. Wolfe"
wrote:

I recently put up a bird feeder in my front garden, hoping to see such
things as blue tits, finches etc. Currently all I have attracted is some
rather fussy sparrows (

Oh please don't be sad about that ........... sparrows are almost on a
'red' list of endagered species ......... and if you have tree
sparrows (slightly smaller, a tad more colourful, brown 'cap' and
black spot on the cheeks - take a bit of seeing - but once you see one
that's it - male & female the same)

They land on the perches and then proceed to pick through what is there,
occasionlly pausing to eat something. They do this with such a vigorous
flicking motion that a large amount gets spilled on the grass below.

I would estimate that they eat 20% while 80% gets dropped. The feeder
contains what is branded as "seed supreme" - a mixture of wheat? grains,
corn, dried peas and sunflower seeds.

Apart from starting to grow crops in my lawn from the discarded seed is
there anything I can do??

Put another feeder out with other seed, and experiment ..........
don't forget a bird bath as well if possible nearby .......