Old 25-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Ross Vandegrift

Default Lobelia cardinalis - FAILURE

In article , Robert H wrote:
I guess Ross didn't read any of the suggested material to give up so
easy.

Well, it wasn't so much giving up, as it was announcing the death of
that specimen to the group, since some people asked for an update.

Unlike many other aquatic stem plants, the species is relatively slow
to amass vertical height. However, upon closer inspection, healthy
specimens will be observed putting forth an abundance of firm, hearty
side-shoots, which can be pinched off and planted elsewhere.

In my tank, it took about two to three weeks for the root structure to
rot away and dissolve completely. You suggested lack of oxygen to the
roots could be a problem - how can I deal with this problem? The
substrate in this tank is coated gravel, not a sandy-type substrate, and
water can circulate decently through the substrate.

Moderately high to high light levels suit this species
well and prompt more compact and attractive growth. Micronutrient
supplementation with stabilised iron is necessary, as is the presence
of pertinent macronutrients;

This tank runs normally at 2wpg with CO2 injection (DIY, ~6-10ppm), and
fertilization (Kent FW Plant supplemenet for macro, Flourish Trace for
micro).

I actually have an additional light that I can use to bring it up to
3wpg (60W over 20G) - perhaps I should try again with the additional
lighting?

Also in the tank is a fair bit of sunset hygro and a huge amazon sword
plant - could these plants be too competetive for the L. Cardinalis?

You can read the actual article and see his gorgeous pics of healthy,
lush, and growing Lobelia by going he

http://www.e-aquaria.com/des_lobelia.html

The second pic is telling - the plant I bought, had no roots to speak
of, compared to those in the second picture posted here. Maybe imagine
that picture if you shaved all the fine, hair-like roots off, and just
left the stem.

Looks like I might have also gotten a poor plant to begin with?

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.