Old 25-07-2003, 01:07 AM
999tigger 999tigger is offline
Registered User

Default Stihl strimmers

Have picked up some good advice from this board so could do with a bit of input.

I have recently volunteered to do a bit of strimming for my local church in the graveyard as that is where my mother is buried. The place is pretty overgrown (weeds, long grass and some brambles) and a strimmer/brushcutter is the only way to go as there is no space for a mower because many of the graves have stone surrounds.

So its a strimmer and I decided to get a decent one that will make the job as easy as possible. I have more or less decided on a stihl fs80/85 or an fs400.

What I would like to know is:

1. Am I doing overkill (I might have about 4 acres of graveyard to strim) so I wnat it to be as easy as possible.

2. I can forsee a problem of hitting the stone with the nylon, so how do I make sure I can strim right against the gravestones and avoid damaging them or the strimmer. I have been told that I should have autofeed, but I have seen people make modifications, which tends to stop them going through tons of strimmer line. I dont mind about going through line, just dont want to be stopping and starting every few minutes. Should I get a nylon blade?

Thanks for any advice.

I can see a helmet, ear protectors, some gloves and strong shoes should be uses