Old 25-07-2003, 01:42 AM
V_coerulea

Default Climbers for zone 8

Kiwis might be nice too. Remember though that your Z8 and my Z8 are 2
completely different critters. I live in southern South Carolina, USA where
the winters usually don't go much below 20F (rarely low teens), but the days
are in the 50F range so temps rarely stay below freezing for long. Yours may
be there a good long while. For apples, we have to choose the low chill
varieities is we want any apples. You could probably have your pick. Our
warm growing season is long. Your cool growing season is long. Passiflora
might survive for you, but probably won't fruit (unless it's incarnata which
I think would grow and fruit under the polar ice cap). So much depends on
your max-min temps, length of growing season, humidity and rainfall, soil
type, pH, etc that it makes suggestions rather whimsical.
Gary
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
m...
Hi

I need some inspiration. I want to cover the walls of the garden in
climbers that will produce lots of fruit and look good too. I'm in
England, zone 8 IIRC, ie it only just freezes in winter.

I've got walls of all aspects to cover, S, E, W, N.

I know I want apples! But a good mix of things would be nice. I might
also try a fruiting akebia, but I've been told theyre really rampant,
so Im not sure.

I would like to try russian olive, elaeagnus angustifolia, but its
more bush than climber, so it might become an endless hassle to
maintain. I have that one and also elaeagnus ebbingei limelight - not
convinced either of them are suitable tho.

Thinking of possibly putting kiwi on the north wall, it will get some
direct sun once it gets about 6' high.

I is in need of inspiration - any welcome!

Regards, NT