Old 25-07-2003, 12:02 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Is this a Bonsai.

While I agree that the seller is being dishonest in portraying this
plant as "STUNNING BONSAI", his argument is not really flawed, just
debatable. His target market are probably people that aren't that
knowledgeable about bonsai and they could think this plant stunning,
until they saw a proper bonsai.

"The Essentials of Bonsai" by the Editors of Shufunomoto has this in the
intro "A bon is a tray or salver, sai is a dependant noun meaning
"grow", and the word bonsai means something growing in a shallow
container, a tree in a pot." Later in the same book they make bonsai
from herbs and grasses, things that we define as accent plantings. There
does seem to be room for movement in the definition.

Anyone buying anything from a marketplace like eBay MUST make absolutely
certain that they know exactly what they are purchasing. Study those
photo's, if they aren't detailed enough email the vendor and ask for
more pictures. Study the vendor's rating. The buyer must beware. If you
do feel that you have been duped, then a threat to make complaint in his
ratings may persuade him to refund your money. I have seen complaints
rubbished by the seller though and people keep buying from them.

I've yet to find anything that I considered enough of a bargain for me
to risk buying from eBay.

Good luck

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

"Mark R. Ensign" wrote:

Fellow enthusiasts for Bonsai.

If you saw a beautiful picture on eBay and it was described as a
"STUNNING BONSAI" schefflera and it arrived and turned out to be just

big plant that had cut off branches as thick as your index finger from
which were sprouted small branches, would you call this a Bonsai?

When I complained about what I bought he responded "Bonsai stems from
two japanese words that mean potted plant." He claims that this big,
cut-back plant in a small pot is a Bonsai.

Please help me with definitions that I can send to him to rebut his
statement. Strong negative feedback to eBay is pending your

assistance.

Thanks for the help.

Mark R. Ensign
Amarillo, Texas