Old 25-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

Default Couldn't be much more of a newbie... need some advice :)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:17:07 GMT, "Lattés"
wrote:

Most vegetables don't need to be shaded from mid-day sun. They are,
with a few exceptions, "full sun" plants, which means a *minimum* of
6hrs direct sun a day, and more is better. "Dappled shade" is *not*
for vegetables.

Thanks, I still think I will go ahead with it though and go with veggies
that do like "dappled shade" If you have any suggestions that would be
wonderful

Sorry. I've spent my gardening years seeking every spot of full sun I
could find. Perhaps others could give suggestions. All I can say is
tomatoes, peppers, melons, okra, squash, beans, and most herbs -- in
fact, anything that has flowers and 'fruit' requires lots of sun. Even
'cool weather' crops -- peas, lettuce, greens, cabbagy things (can't
spell brassica) don't want shade, just don't like hot weather.

If you've been lurking, you may have read of 'neighborly' disputes
that seem destined for the courts. While I agree that "lawn" is a
waste of space, and would much rather see that space used more
productively, your neighbors may feel otherwise. Just a point to
consider.

My neighborhood is actually pretty good like that, I'm not really in the
suburbs and if you walk up my street you get to see EVERY type of front lawn
you can imagine, from rock gardens, to veggies, to trees, to flowers to
weeds

Cool. I live in Lawnland, so must cooperate, at least in front. I've
seen some *very* attractive and well-maintained veg/flower gardens
that would, IMHO, in no way lower 'property values' anywhere.

Thanks for the kudos on the containers, I am personally quite surprised but
it is really encouraging. I guess I have some kind of green thumb because I
killed my peas transplanting them and took the dried peas in the pods and
planted them and they all grew! Whodathunkit?

Check Pat Meadows' posts. She's grown *everything* in a container (not
to the exclusion of in-ground). Don't transplant peas! Put 'em
where you want 'em. As I have reported before, I threw some spent
sugarsnap vines on my compost pile where seeds grew about 1' before
frost, overwintered, and provided a terrific spring harvest. (Zone
something between 7 & 8).