Old 25-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Couldn't be much more of a newbie... need some advice :)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:53:34 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

Thanks for the kudos on the containers, I am personally quite surprised but
it is really encouraging. I guess I have some kind of green thumb because I
killed my peas transplanting them and took the dried peas in the pods and
planted them and they all grew! Whodathunkit?

Check Pat Meadows' posts.

He can't. I use the 'x-no-archive' switch and Google
therefore does not archive my posts. I have (what I
consider) good reasons for doing this that are not relevant
here.

She's grown *everything* in a container (not
to the exclusion of in-ground).

Not everything, but quite a bit.

Here's a list (and I'm likely forgetting some things):

eggplant
peppers - hot and sweet
tomatoes
lettuce
Asian greens, including:
bok choy
choy sum
hon tsai tai
shungiku (edible crysanthemum)
Chinese cabbage
broccoli
carrots
beets
chard
bush beans
rosemary (comes indoors in winter)
collard greens
basil
Malabar spinach (which as it turns out, I don't like, so I
won't grow it again)

All the above are plants I've grown in large pots on our
deck.

When I lived in an apartment, I had a half-whisky-barrel
full of herbs on the patio. This was great, the herbs were
happy, and it was decorative and right outside the kitchen
door. I wish I had several of the half-whisky-barrels now!

In one sense, our entire garden is now a 'container garden'
as we are using tires for raised beds.

Pat