Old 25-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Theo Asir

Default Bloom & basal problems.

"Shiva" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:28:50 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

Thought I'd consult on my problems.

[snip specifics]

Sorry I'm late, Theo, I've been away.

Although I am in a much warmer (and just really climatically
different) zone than you, what struck me about your descriptions is
that these are all really young roses! If I read correctly, the oldest
one was 2 years? You owe it to yourself and your investment of time
and money to keep them at least 3, don't you think?

Well! my Garden area is not overly extensive.
I grow about 160 but every available
spot has been taken up.

So poor performers are always under
threat from roses I want to try.

At this moment the following
plants sit waiting for a spot.

Dublin Bay
Iceberg CL
Francesca
Goldbusch
Prairie Star
Autumn Delight
April Moon (second)

And these are putting out for me while still
in the pot!!!

Also:

Kaiserin Auguste Viktoria.
It was a continual bloomer last year
but has put out just a single bud this year.
Might euthanize.

Is this the same rose that one sees listed as Crown Princess Victoria,
but in German? If so, I understand it is a great rose! Also, if it
bloomed continuously last year, you were clearly doing something right
then that you are not doing now. Or perhaps a problem has developed
that has nothing to do with what you are doing, but is one you must
address. Not the rose's fault!

Perhaps if you would not use words like "euthanize" I might not feel
compelled to defend them. G

Baffles me. I had great things to say last year
about this rose. But this year its just sits there.
Grows a little but where are the blooms.

Only thing I might have done differently
is I took down a tree branch
and it nows get 2 more hours of sun.

Well I might have said the great compost heap
in the sky except I don't have one :-)

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City