Old 25-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Noydb

Default Couldn't be much more of a newbie... need some advice :)

Lattés wrote:

Next year what I WANT to do is a big veggie garden in my front yard.

If you are in a suburban area at all, you are likely in for a rude surprise.
As the French say "bo chance".

Here is what I need help with. I have a mature tree in the front yard
(good to diffuse light for a lot of veggies during mid day sun) and right
now I have some perennials at the edges and grass in the middle (I live in
the city, small front yard, about 20'x25') what I want to do is pull out
all the perennials and rototill the whole thing, get rid of the grass and
put down a LOT of good earth.

I have been told by a couple of people that
this would not work because the tree would take all the good stuff from
the soil and not leave anything left for my veggies but these are the same
people that said that I couldn't grow veggies from the planters that I
have so I don't really believe them.

Do not listen to those people. They are defective.

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated

Loose leaf lettuces will tolerate some shade. Orange Mint asks for it. Not
too many things will welcome shade.

All the best
Dave

--